- Hyper-V 2008 R2 must be deployed on both hosts. The first version of Hyper-V does not support live migration.
- Source and destination Hyper-V hosts must be configured as a Failover cluster.
- Source and destination systems must be using shared storage (i.e. via SAN or iSCSI configurations)
- Source and destination systems must be running processors from the same manufacturer. It is not, for example, possible to migrate a virtual machine from an Intel based host to one containing an AMD CPU.
== The Live Migration Process ==
- '''Network Re-direction''' - The network environment is modified to direct traffic intended for the virtual machine to the destination host.
== Performing a Live Migration ==
Assuming that the system requirements outlined earlier in this chaoter have been met and a virtual machine is running on a host within such an environment, a live migration can be initiated.
Live migrations may be initiated either from within the ''Failover Cluster Management'' console or using Windows PowerShell.
Once launched, the Failover Cluster console lists the virtual machines running on hosts within the cluster together with the corresponding status of each one.